We still made it to the plot but couldn't do anything due to the rain. However, we did have a good group discussion about how to deal with the everlasting slug problem!!! We're going to try several methods out - coffee grounds, cinders from BBQ's, copper wire and crushed egg shells around the base of the plants (not all at the same time). The reasoning behind this is that slugs find it difficult to glide their way over these materials. We shall see! We will also be putting in some sacrificial lettuces - Slugs find them so delicious they will eat them in preference to our other plants (that the theory any way).
We also checked the brassicas as birds were nipping at them last week, so, we put used plastic bottles over them - and they are now recovering really well. Good learning point here; next time we will cover them when we plant them and not wait for them to be attacked.